Nullity or declaration as to validity

This Court can make:

Decree of nullity

A decree of nullity can be granted if there was no legal marriage between the parties, even though a marriage ceremony has taken place.

The Court can grant a decree of nullity for reasons including:

See the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth) for more information on decrees of nullity.

Declaration as to validity

A marriage can be declared invalid if it is not solemnised according to the formal requirements of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth).

The Court cannot declare a marriage invalid on the follwing grounds:

Next steps

You can visit the making an application section for information on how to apply for a declaration as to validity or nullity.

Last updated: 16-Apr-2018

[ back to top ]