Family Court of Western Australia

Communicating with the Court and Judicial Officers

Generally, all communication with the Court is to be via lodgement of correspondence on the eCourts Portal of WA or by emailing the Court.

Parties are also referred to Case Management Guideline 55 concerning correspondence with the Court.

Unless a party or legal practitioner has been specifically invited to do so, parties and legal practitioners are not permitted to contact a Judicial Officer directly by emailing their Chambers.  Communication with the Associate of a Judicial Officer can be made by email in the following circumstances:

  • If you have already uploaded to the eCourts Portal a request for the vacation of an imminent hearing date.
  • If you and the other party have reached agreement and filed Consent Orders via the eCourts Portal, which includes the vacation of a forthcoming hearing date.
  • If you have uploaded a request to adjourn a forthcoming hearing date via the eCourts Portal.
  • If you have been specifically asked to provide a copy of a document, including in a specific format.

The Associate cannot provide legal advice or provide you with any information about your matter. You should contact the Call Centre on 9224 8222 for general procedural information about your case.

If you do email a Judicial Officer's Chambers, you should be aware of the following matters:

  • If you are a party to the proceedings and you are legally represented, you should not contact Chambers directly, your legal representative should contact Chambers on your behalf.
  • Unless you have been invited to do so, any communication should only be in the above circumstances, and the communication must indicate it has been copied to the other party/parties and/or their legal representative.

For communication with the Court to provide Feedback or make a Complaint, or enquire about the delay in the delivery of a Judgment, parties are referred to the Court's website.

Last updated: 2-Apr-2024

[ back to top ]