Applying for a divorce

A divorce  formally ends a marriage. You can apply for a divorce if you meet the divorce requirements. This page has information about the application process, and the before you apply section has information about divorce orders. 

Divorce applications are made online through the eCourts Portal of Western Australia. This page gives an outline of the process. You need to:

Note that the process is different if you make a joint application. Joint applications don't need to be served, and your application will be heard more quickly.

Prepare your documents

To make your application, you'll need access to a printer, scanner and a visa or mastercard. If you don't have a credit card, you can buy a pre-paid debit card through Australia Post.

There are certain documents you need to file with your divorce application.

All applicants need to file a copy of their marriage certificate, and there may be other documents depending on your circumstances. The marriage certificate you provide is not required to be an original or certified copy.

You can provide:

Circumstances requiring additional documents include when:

The additional divorce application requirements page has more information.

Complete the application on the eCourts Portal of Western Australia

After preparing your documents, register for the eCourts Portal.

After registering and signing in:

Print and sign your application

The next step is to print a copy of your completed application and a blank Affidavit for eFiling Application (Divorce) (see downloads below), and then sign the affidavit before an authorised witness, who is usually a Justice of the Peace or lawyer. You MUST take the printed copy of your completed application to show the authorised witness when you sign your affidavit.

The affidavit page has more information on having documents sworn. Parties are advised that witnesses such as a police officer, pharmacist or teacher are not authorised witnesses unless they are also a Justice of the Peace.

If you are filing a joint application, both you and your spouse will need to swear the affidavit.

After your affidavit has been sworn, scan the sworn copy and upload it to the eCourts Portal.

Finalise your application

After your affidavit has been sworn, navigate back to Part H of your saved application and complete the following:

Pay the Application fee

You can pay the application fee using a Mastercard or Visa credit/debit card.

Print the application

Print the document ready for service (sole application) and print a copy for your own records if required.

Serve the application

If you are filing the application on your own (a sole application) then you will need to arrange service of a copy of your application, and the Marriage, Families and Separation brochure, on your spouse. The person who served the application will need to complete an Affidavit of Service. There are additional documents you will need to file to prove service of the application on the other party.  See below and the serving a divorce application page for more information.

If you are making a joint application with your spouse, you do not need to serve the application.

eLodge Service documents

You will have to provide evidence to the Court that the application has been served on and received by your spouse. This is done by elodging the Affidavit of Service with the court. You will also need to corroborate service, by completing and elodging an affidavit confirming the person served was your spouse. See the serving a divorce application page for more information. Your divorce application is unlikely to be granted unless documents confirming proper proof of service have been lodged.

Next steps

The next steps depend on whether you are making a sole or joint application.

Sole application

After you have filed and served your application, your spouse may file a Response to Divorce if they oppose the divorce. There are very few valid reasons to oppose a divorce. The main reasons are that: 

See responding to a divorce application for more information.

After your spouse has had an opportunity to respond, the Court will consider your application. See the divorce cases page under Using the Court for more information, including whether you will need to attend court.

Joint application

If you are making a joint application, the Court will begin considering your application after it has been filed. See the divorce cases page under Using the Court for more information, including whether you will need to attend court.

What happens if I cannot eLodge my application?

If you are unable to eLodge, contact the Court by email or the Call Centre on 08 9224 8222 for information about what you can do.

Last updated: 1-Mar-2024

[ back to top ]